Medically reviewed by, Russell Braun RPH
Do you find that the cost of your medication is taking up more and more of your budget? Has your insurance been adding to your out of pocket costs every year? This is an all too common complaint.
So, how can you get the best discount on your medicine?
Do prescription savings cards like ScriptSave WellRx seem like they could be a scam? It’s easy to understand why people are skeptical. After all, a free discount card that will save you up to 80% off the price of a medication seems like there has to be a catch.
I will breakdown the details of the ScriptSave WellRx prescription savings card for you. While 80% savings could occur in some cases the average savings will be more in the 40-60% range. That can still add up but there are several things to keep in mind before you hand a discount code to your pharmacist.
What is the ScriptSave WellRx pharmacy savings card?
ScriptSave WellRx is a company that offers a free (more on this below) prescription discount card. It claims to save you up to 80% on prescription medications. They have a website and mobile app that allow you to search for prices at pharmacies near you on your medication. The ScriptSave WellRx app is also free to download.
Both the website and app are free for anyone to use, weather you have insurance or not.
Below is what the website looks like when a basic search is done using a drug and a location. As you scroll down many pharmacies will be listed in order by price that you would have to pay.
If you have health insurance, be sure to compare your copay cost to the discounted rate available through the prescription savings program so you can be sure you’re getting the best price possible.
ScriptSave WellRx contracts with pharmacies to get discounts on prescription medications. It is important to remember this is NOT insurance. The size of the discount will vary drug by drug and pharmacy by pharmacy. While these discount cards do save money, the average savings is normally much less than 80%. In fact average savings normally range between 40-60% which can still be significant.
You can get information on medication prices by simply going to the website and searching based on the drug name and dosage. After that, results with prices will display from several pharmacies. Select the one you want and then you can print, text or email yourself the discount coupon. Finally, you can use the app and just pull it out at the pharmacy to obtain the savings.
At the pharmacy, they will use the numbers on the ScriptSave WellRx prescription card (see below) when filling your script and give you the price you saw on the website. Making the process very simple.
What types of drugs are included?
The ScriptSave WellRx app and website allow you to search by individual drug and your location.
Like other pharmacy prescription discount card programs, ScriptSave WellRx offers savings on any drug you have a prescription for. That means if you take a drug that is Over The Counter (OTC) you will not be able to search and find it. Therefore, you will not be able to receive a discount in those cases.
Keep in mind that some drugs sold as OTC’s do have prescription strengths. In those cases you would be able to find the prescription strength versions. Similarly, some human medications can be used for pets. In those cases you can also use your ScriptSave WellRx discount for pet medications.
Dietary supplements, vitamins, herbal products will not be available for discounts via ScriptSave WellRx app or website.
Other services provided by ScriptSave WellRx
- Information on health conditions and medications that includes images and videos to help you understand medication better.
- Pill and refill reminders that can notify you to take the medication or order the next refill.
- Medicine chest which requires you to create an account. Once that is done it has several resources to help you better manage your medication.
- Pill identifier that allows you to put the imprint code on your medication in to confirm what the pill is exactly.
- ScriptSave WellRx for pets, which helps you find common human drugs that can be used in pets at a discount.
- Grocery guidance that helps you find foods that would be best for you given your nutrition goals.
- Set price alerts where they will email or text you if a price drops below a certain point.
Does CVS and other big pharmacies accept WellRx?
ScriptSave WellRX claims to work at 65,000 pharmacies across the U.S. That number correlates to almost all pharmacies in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and is likely a little inflated. Major chain pharmacies, such as CVS would honor these discounts at all of their stores. The table below lists some of the key pharmacy partners that accept ScriptSave WellRX.
Smaller local chains or independent pharmacies may not accept many pharmacy discount savings programs. They have to offer discounts and some of those pharmacies can’t compete in that game like the larger chains can. However, many small chains and independent pharmacies are included in ScriptSave WellRx results.
If don’t see the pharmacy you use in the search results, just ask them to price match the price you see in ScriptSave WellRx. Many times to keep your business they will do that!
Do pharmacies lose money with ScriptSave WellRx?
ScriptSave WellRx is “free” so how do they make money, is there a catch?
There are different types of discount cards and they make money in slightly different ways. ScriptSave WellRx is free to the user because they make money off of the data they collect. Marketing of data is big business! While they may not share your personal details with marketers or pharmaceutical manufacturers, rest assured they can get paid for the rest of the information collected.
They also offer the advantage of working directly with a pharmacy to get a discounted price. Therefore, the insurance middleman who run some discount programs don’t get a cut of the savings. ScriptSave WellRx also keeps part of the discount the pharmacy is offering in exchange for driving traffic to them.
ScriptSave WellRx terms and conditions
- Use of the service
- Pages viewed
- Date and time(s) of use
- Duration of activity
These are not a reason prevent you from using ScriptSave WellRx prescription savings card, but be aware how your data could be used.
If you create an account then your name, date of birth, email, gender and address will be collected also. This specific personal information will not be shared. Instead, they aggregate data so you can’t be identified individually but as part of a group. Then ScriptSave WellRx does share certain data with marketers so that products and services can be offered to people in certain groups.
Below are the types of data ScriptSave WellRx may collect from your computer or mobile device in addition to general usage and account information:
- Location information based on your mobile device or zip code
- IP address
- Mobile device identifier
- Marketing technology, examples include Google and Facebook.
- Mobile device information including your browsing history.
Can you use a prescription discount card with insurance?
You can NOT combine any pharmacy prescription drug discount card with insurance. ScriptSave WellRx is no exception to this rule.
However, it is important to remember you should ALWAYS look at prices of medications that are covered by your insurance using the ScriptSave WellRx pricing tool. Why?
The answer is simple but shocking to most people. Your insurance copay does not guarantee you the best price! In many cases the ScriptSave WellRx prescription savings card will be cheaper than your copay. See the example below.
|Wellbutrin SR (Bupropion SR) 150mg #30 tablets|
|ScriptSave WellRx discount price||$8.95|
Comparison shopping using the ScriptSave WellRx prescription savings card is a great way to save money!
What about drugs not covered by insurance?
When insurance is not going to foot the bill for your drug, you should always shop around using a pharmacy prescription drug discount app like ScriptSave WellRx.
Some examples of this include:
1. Have a high deductible health plan (HDHP)?
- The pharmacy is not going to offer up the discounted price to you, instead you need to know that this is available and search for the best price.
- Keep in mind that any time ScriptSave WellRx prescription savings card is used that will NOT apply toward your deductible.
If you use a discount card to pay for your medication during the coverage gap in Medicare it doesn’t count toward your out of pocket (TROOP) expenses either. However, if you don’t expect to get out of the coverage gap and into the catastrophic phase then saving all that you can with a prescription discount card is the way to go. This would reduce your overall money out of pocket until everything resets on January 1st.
2. Drugs that Medicare and commercial insurance commonly do not cover are used to treat the following health problems.
|Weight loss||Cough and cold|
|Sexual dysfunction||Sleep aides|
|Muscle relaxers||OTC medications|
For these medications pharmacy prescription drug discount cards may be the only way to get money off of the full cash price!
Does ScriptSave WellRx have a membership?
In addition to the basic drug price searching features ScriptSave WellRx offers, they do not have a paid membership like some other prescription savings cards do. Often memberships offer deeper discounts, but you have to pay a monthly fee.
Instead ScriptSave WellRx offers Medicine Chest.
How does it work?
To become a member of Medicine Chest you have to create an account and provide some basic information. Once you create the account you can access Medicine Chest on your computer or via the mobile app. Instead of searching for one drug at a time, you can price check on multiple scripts. That means you can see that pharmacy with the lowest prices on all of your medications at once.
Now you can quickly see a one stop pharmacy option or all the pharmacies with the best price per drug.
Is it worth it?
As mentioned before, pharmacy prices for medictions change frequently. Therefore, checking prices each time you go may prevent a surprise increase in cost. Virtual Medicine Chest lets you easily reprice all your drugs each month or every time you fill them. That is a nice feature that other drug discount cards don’t offer.
Other Medicine Chest features include:
- The ability to store your medication list
- Import medications into your list from your pharmacy
- Reminders to order refills and take pills
- Medication journal log
- Informational medication videos
- Ask a pharmacist
As discussed above creating an account provides ScriptSave WellRx more of your personal information. You should weigh information privacy versus the potential benefits.
Is ScriptSave WellRx legit?
Yes, ScriptSave WellRx is a legitimate prescription discount card. Here are some facts to back up that statement.
- ScriptSave WellRx has been in business for 26 years according to the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- They have a customer service phone number you can call that is available 9am-8pm 7 days a week.
- Accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since May of 2018.
- Received an A+ rating from the BBB
- They received 5 stars on reviews on the BBB website.
- WellRx.com is listed as a safe website by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). They are the organization that regulates pharmacy laws state by state. Their safe website verification is intended to help patients know if they can trust online pharmacies.
- ScriptSave WellRx has an excellent ranking and 4.7 out of 5 stars from Trustpilot.com
How does ScriptSave WellRx set their price?
Knowing how prices are set before you go to the pharmacy can save you from heartache and frustration. Prices pharmacies pay to acquire drugs change very frequently, like several times per day! Keep these things in mind before you go to the pharmacy.
1. ScriptSave WellRx prices come from many sources such as:
- Published price lists
- Claims of prescriptions that have been filled in the past
- Price data provided by pharmacies
2. Prices can change at any time.
3. No prices are gauranteed, they are estimates.
4. Most of the savings with discount programs comes from generic drugs, which can have many different manufacturers making generics of the same medication.
- Therefore, if ScriptSave WellRx uses one manufacturer but the pharmacy has pills from a different one the prices may not match.
Pros of SciptSave WellRx prescription savings card:
1. It is free to use, just remember your data is being shared.
2. No problems that you run into with insurance such as:
- Prior authorization
- Formulary problems
- Drug not being covered
- Quantity being limited
- Step therapy required
3. No eligibility requirements for use.
4. Medicine Chest option that could save you even more by easily repricing drugs every month.
5. Save on pet medications when your vet writes a prescription for a human medication that is used for your animal companion.
6. The Ask a Pharmacist feature connects you with a pharmacist who can answer medication questions for you. Pharmacists are often the best resource to discuss medications with as that is their expertise.
7. Grocery guidance helps you figure out the type of foods that can be beneficial for losing weight or a certain disease.
8. They have a listing of 24 hour pharmacies that is helpful if you need your medication filled in a pinch.
Cons of ScriptSave WellRx prescription discount card:
1. Prices can change unexpectedly.
2. Prices may change between refills.
3. Over the counter drugs are not able to be searched and priced. Only medications that are prescription strength.
4. Most results will be large chain pharmacies. Local pharmacies and independents often can’t afford to offer such large discounts and therefore may not show up on ScriptSave WellRx.
5. When you pay with a ScriptSave WellRx prescription savings card the amount you pay after the discount DOES NOT APPLY TO YOUR DEDUCTIBLE for insurance or toward out of pocket maximum amounts.
6. ScriptSave WellRx does not have a mail order pharmacy option like some other prescription discount cards do.
7. Doctor visits via telehealth are not able to be searched or scheduled as some competitors to ScriptSave WellRx offer.
What do the customer reviews say?
The Better Business Bureau website has 62 patient reviews on ScriptSave WellRx. However, like with any review keep in mind most reviews are left by people who had some kind of issue or problem.
You can click here to view the BBB page for ScriptSave WellRx. You will notice they also have zero customer complaints. That is unusual for prescription savings cards, most have several complaints. The majority of reviews that brought up problems centered around a price discrepancy.
What sets ScriptSave WellRx apart in BBB and Trustpilot reviews seems to be that their customer service helps patients get the best outcome they can.
Helpful tips to remember from the reviews
- The price quoted may change day to day or even within a few hours.
- Make sure you print the coupon and take it with you, or have it available on your phone.
- Quoted prices do not always match, ScriptSave WellRx customer service says that prices are estimated and final price comes from the pharmacy.
Let’s face it, medications can be confusing. Strange strengths, dosage forms, quantities can lead even someone familiar with medication to pick a variable that is not correct. When that happens and the patient thinks they have the right price, only to find out it doesn’t match, naturally they get angry. Several of the lower reviews on the BBB site appear to be related to this type of situation.
What is similar to ScriptSave WellRx and is there anything better?
ScriptSave WellRx is similar to other pharmacy prescription discount card programs. Most offer websites and apps or the option to print off a physical card that can be taken to the pharmacy. In addition, they most make there money the same way. Here are some of the most common ScriptSave WellRx competitors:
- Blink Health
- US Pharmacy Card
- Drug Discount Network
- Script Relief
Read my overview on pharmacy prescription discount cards for more details.
The main difference(s) between ScriptSave WellRx and it’s competitors include:
- Medication lists
- Repricing on scripts saved to Medicine chest
- Pet prescription discounts
- Ask a pharmacist
- Grocery guidance
What is the best prescription savings card?
This question is going to depend on what prescriptions you take and what area of the country you live in. ScriptSave WellRx has more pharmacies than many other pharmacy prescription discount savings cards.
There is not a one size fits all approach to pharmacy prescription discount cards!
Therefore, the BestRxforSavings best practice is to put all the drugs you take in a medication list and then spend some time comparing prices utilizing all the drug discount card apps or websites.
Some may offer price match guarantees as well. That way you don’t have to drive all over town to different pharmacies or always use different discount apps.
Below is a table showing how ScriptSave WellRx stacks up against GoodRx and Blink Health for the top 10 prescription medications (by number filled). Keep in mind this is for a midwestern U.S. location and drug prices change frequently.
|Drug||ScritpSave WellRx||GoodRx||Blink Health|
|Lisinorpril 10mg, #30 tablets||$3.99||$4.00||$3.50|
|Atorvastatin 20mg, #30 tablets||$5.89||$6.77||$6.99|
|Levothyroxine 100mcg, #30 tablets||$8.00||$4.00||$18.08|
|Metformin 500mg, #60 tablets||$3.99||$4.00||$3.96|
|Amlodipine 10mg, #30 tablets||$3.99||$6.86||$3.50|
|Metoprolol tartrate 25mg, #60 tablets||$4.00||$4.00||$3.50|
|Omeprazole 20mg, #14 capsules||$1.79||$5.61||$3.50|
|Simvastatin 20mg, #30 tablets||$5.89||$4.23||$3.50|
|Losartan 50mg, #30 tablets||$7.67||$7.79||$7.70|
|Albuterol 8.5 gram, #1 inhaler||$22.68||$19.47||$36.24|
How to get the ScriptSave WellRx app
You can download the ScriptSave WellRx app by simply searching WellRx in the app store or in google play. Simply look for the icon below.
Click here to get Dr. Jason Reed’s exclusive list of medication questions you MUST ask your doctor, for FREE!
Share your story
Have you tried using the ScriptSave WellRx prescription savings card? Also, please share how much it saved you. Chime in below with your comments and thoughts.